We treat people with a history of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) for:
- Regular Orthodontic needs with braces, Invisalign, and other appliances to straighten the teeth, align the jaws, maximize airway size, or treat obstructive sleep apnea.
- TBI specific issues such as post injury facial pain. (see below)
Individuals with a history of traumatic brain injury (TBI) often suffer from post-traumatic headache (PTH). This can sometimes be exacerbated by Facial Pain or Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disorders (TMD). Whether related to their injury or not, TMJ pain can exacerbate Post-Traumatic Headache (PTH) , and should be ruled out as a cause or coexisting condition. This can be easily treated with orthodontics treatment. Please see our section on TMJ disorders and Treatment.
Dr. Jennifer Friedman is an orthodontist who is passionate about helping her patients by alleviating pain, no matter the cause or hurdles that must be overcome. We are the only orthodontics practice in the country that can cater to patients with Traumatic Brain Injuries and have designed our entire clinic to maximize individual as well as collective comfort with instantly adjustable stimuli levels. Dr. Ronen Friedman, is a Medical Doctor, CEO of the West Arvada Orthodontics, and specializes in Traumatic Brain Injury Research, as well as, the development healthcare systems for unique patient populations.
When Dr. Friedman realized that there was not a single orthodontic practice in the country who could uniquely serve the traumatic brain injury population, as well as those with other neurological disorders, doctors Friedman decided to put together a specialized team to develop a one-of-a-kind unique clinic which allows Dr. Jennifer Friedman to provide the best patient care regardless of a patient's TBI status.
How the West Arvada Orthodontic Clinic is Designed for People with a History of TBI:
Every Patient can control every aspect of Stimuli in the Clinic:
- Light- Every patient can choose the clinic color, brightness, sunlight or no sunlight, and we can even turn off every single light for zero visual stimuli if a patient suffers from photophobia. Instead of using an abrasive bright circular flash, we have built in a professional photo studio which allows us to take pictures of the inside of a patient's mouth without a flash. All screens are modifiable for size of image and brightness. We do not use laser pointers but instead use a specialized magnifying pointer when explaining cases to a patient or family. Lastly, We do not use giant unnecessary lights found in most orthodontic offices (or operating rooms), instead we use different types of headlamps that allow us to change the brightness and color to make maximize the patient's comfort. We also have eye masks if a patient is particularly sensitive to any type of light.
- Sound- Every patient can control the level of music, type of music, or turn off all music in the clinic if they prefer. Instead of noisy video games we have microscopes, which are wheelchair accessible, silent, and interesting. We have hundreds of slides to choose from (including brain slides if you are interested), and can even hook the microscopes to a screen or projector to accommodate vision issues.
- We have invested heavily in sound dampening architecture which which more then a year and a half to design and is implemented throughout the entire office, including waiting areas and the clinic.
- Touch- Every patient can control the amount of touch, or tactile, stimuli in every part of the clinic. This ranges from oil circles that move when you step on them to even the various textures on the bathroom walls.
- Destimulation Options- We have two sound dampened rooms, including one with a mattress where a patient can turn off all lights, and destimulate with noise cancelling headphones for as long as they need to continue their treatment or recuperate until they feel back to normal. We even have a massage chair.
- Accessibility- We have built the clinic not just to meet ADA guidelines, but to be accessible to EVERYONE no matter their mobility status! All waiting areas, hallways, clinic areas, and doorways are built extra wide to allow any type of wheelchair (manual, or motorized) regardless of size or turning radius. If a patient is in a wheelchair, we can either treat them in their chair or assist with transfers to our clinic chairs. Everything is up to the patient.
- The Patient is in control of any and all stimuli throughout the office. There are no limits to how far we will go to make every single one of our patients comfortable.
You don't have to be afraid of getting overstimulated and lose out on Orthodontic Treatment Anymore! You can get the smile you want, improve your bite and airway and not be in pain or fatigued from over-stimulation. You can arrive fatigued and leave refreshed. It's a bold statement that we stand by and ensure.